If you are considering a trip to Italy's Amalfi Coast during the winter holidays, your best option is to stay in Sorrento, the coastal town where most holiday events and activities take place and where hotels and restaurants tend to stay open through the New Year. The town center is especially beautiful during the Christmas holidays when the streets are lit with fairy lights and towering evergreens are decorated in the center of Piazza Tasso. Special holiday events and concerts are scheduled each weekend from the end of November through the entire month of December, and street artists and buskers entertain visitors young and old alike!
The Best Time to Visit
The holiday lights will be turned on this year from 26 November, 2021. Try to stop by the Piazza at the top of each hour (for example: 5 pm, 6 pm, 7 pm, and so on...): the tree decorations are timed to give a light show!
The lights will be hung until 7 January 2022.
- Each weekend during the holiday season, Piazza Tasso will host a puppet theater with live music and buskers along Corso Italia and in the old town.
- From 3 December to 6 January, Cafè Latino on Corso Italia will be serving Christmas street food.
- From 7 December to 6 January, Villa Fiorentino will host the Giardino Incantato Christmas market with evening entertainment and a Christmas creche display.
- From 8 to 12 December Piazza Veniero will host the Villaggio del Cioccolato; from 12 to 26 December, the same square will host the Christmas market.
- On 31 December and 6 PM, the traditional Ciuccio di Fuoco will take place in Piazza Tasso, and live music and DJ sets will begin at 11 PM in Piazza Lauro and Piazza Tasso. Fireworks will be set off at 1 AM from Marina Piccola (the best viewing point is Villa Comunale in Sorrento).
Getting to Sorrento by Train
The easiest way to reach Sorrento during the holidays is by Circumvesuviana train. The final train leaving Sorrento for Naples is at 9.39 pm.
Getting to Sorrento by Car
Otherwise, you can arrive by car but try to visit in the early hours of the day as there are traffic jams on Saturday and Sunday from 5 pm. The most convenient parking is Correale, just beneath Piazza Lauro. Parking costs EUR 2/hour here and in all the parking lots in Sorrento.